Thursday, April 21, 2011

MSOC and Privacy Laws

     Yes, I know... I am an AT&T employee and the following is my opinion!  MSOC is the system which gives each technician's performance data.  It is posted publically on the intranet(company only) and on the bulletin board in our office.  We get numbers daily, quarterly, monthly, yearly, weekends, full-moon's, etc.  It is worst than baseball statistics.  We are compelled to work harder, faster, longer and sacrifice our lives for the benefit of total telecommunication domination!  Ok, not really.   It isn't like a James Bond movie where the evil mastermind has both countries launching missles at each other, at least not yet.  It's actually more like the movie "Ben Hur" and the drum beat scene.  Again, let me reiterate, AT&T employee performance data is posted publicly in every work center for others to see, even contractors, visitors, and anyone else who may wander through the room.
     For example, if you looked at my data for the month, you could see my percent efficiency, my percent utilization, my productivity, how many demand hours I've worked, whether or not I should have accomplished that in a shorter period of time, the number of times customers called in a second trouble(repeat report) and along with my data, you could see everyone else's on the same list.  Now, I may be old fashioned(old school as my supervisor says), but that just isn't right!  Privacy laws are real and are not to be played with!  Our union, CWA, is standing tall as usual but bent over with their head in the sand on this issue.  If they don't see it, it doesn't exist!
     I made a simple internet search and found this link on fairmeasures.com.  It's a site for management legal training.  The question is this, "Can we tell employees about everyone's performance?"  Two lawyers reply, "NO!  Under the laws of every state, employers have a duty to take reasonable care with sensitive information.  This is not reasonable care!"  Wow, I knew that and am not even a lawyer! 
     I have come to believe that it has become a "game" for management and not just a whip.  It may be like fantasy football to many managers.  They are so competitive that they've become obsessed with being at the top of their managers - list of managers.  A who's #1 thing!  Not to mention the bonuses associated with being the top dog and the new benchmark for everyone else!  While they play their stupid games, real technicians are panicking about not meeting their numbers and being threatened with being put on the "special plan" where everything you do suddenly takes longer with added steps. 
     Management really enjoys this, you can see it in their eyes.  When they say, "I'm going to put a counseling entry in your file", it is with excitement not sadness!  There isn't encouragment, there is only despair!  In my mind, I can see some managers fantasy motivators... "Forget MSOC, give me a cowhide whip, taser, small bull horn, and a vial of sodium pentothal...  I'll motivate them"!  muhahaha

      MSOC was originally introduced to employees as a tool and not a whip!  It has evolved into something else, especially in some personality flawed managers.  Come on AT&T,  get your head out of the sand on this one.  Call off the dogs, lets move off the plantation and get back to the teamwork concept!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment