Sunday, January 22, 2012

Guide to Making Your Numbers with MSOC

Hi, I'm an employee of AT&T and the following is my opinion.   In case you didn't read my earlier blogs, THEY like for me to say that.

     The evil MSOC program has been rearing it's ugly head among most of the AT&T technicians recently.  It's hard to find someone who loves a whip on their back and constant threats of disciplinary actions.  Just for review, MSOC is the overall statistical analysis of each technician's day at work, doing the companies bidding.  There are many categories to fail in, especially with the benchmarks set unbelievably high.  Just for instance, if I'm dispatched on a telephone line trouble to your house and the problem is in the house and no one is home... that lowers my dispatch efficiency.  It wasn't my fault you were not home and I'm not allowed to break in and fix the trouble but it lowers my daily grade.  If I am not allowed to work on a piece of equipment, I also have to refer that trouble to a technician(Central Office or Digital Technician) and that lowers my numbers.

     It's like hunting in a field with your best dog.  He doesn't find any birds because there aren't any, so you run up and kick him!  Normally, that would be considered animal abuse and you shouldn't be surprised when he bites you.  If I was watching, I'd cheer for the dog!

     Another truly diabolical addition to the program is the bucket list.  Everyone's statistics(numbers) in the group are listed in order and divided into five percentage groups.  The top twenty percent are called "A" technicians and are praised for what they have done.  The bottom twenty percent are labeled "E" technicians and are disciplined for their low numbers.  It is actually possible to reach all the required goals set by the company and still be an "E" technician, if statistically you fall into the lower quintile.  In other words, if everyone is scrambling up a rope for safety and if they work harder than you do, you're still on the bottom even if you've done everything correct!  And you were wondering why every AT&T employee seems disgruntled and difficult to talk to.  We're trying to survive in an upside down world!

     It is with those thoughts that I present to you my "tongue and cheek" guide to making your numbers


1.  Lie.  You can't do it any other way.  Certain codes carry more allotted time so use them.  When the Florida guys came to help us after storm damage, I worked behind some who obviously weren't using the correct codes on what they did.  I discovered the great disparity between telling the truth and telling  a lie... better numbers!

2.  Learn from the best.  Let's face it, most of us hate working behind an "A" technician.  They don't do any cleanup or routine work that will keep a later trouble from happening.  For example, changing out old protectors, corroded connectors, replacing improper grounds, closing pedestals, etc.  They've learned to work the system and by doing the same things, your numbers will vault skyward.

3. Donate your time to the company.  I know a technician who regularly works through lunch and doesn't report the time.  Consider it volunteer hours to stay ahead of the competition.  Shucks, you can even stay late for free, if you need that whole hour at lunch.  Of course, don't even think about breaks.  Those few minutes of rest that your work forefathers fought for, are just relics of the past!  However, you can still use them when you're questioned about that 9 minute stop reported on your GPS.  Just say it was your break and not a restroom stop.  They think we're like the .29 cent/day garment workers in Cambodia who don't need bathroom breaks.

4.  Replace all damaged buried service wires.  Let's face it, it takes time to locate and fix a cut BSW.  That is 30 to 45min that you could be on your way to another trouble.  Throw out a quick temporary wire and call for a contractor.  Sure it may cost the company more money but your numbers are at stake!

5.  Let your bad spots "perk".  Open pedestals and terminals will eventually fail from weather and UV rays.  They don't allow time for routine work anymore and eventually you'll get a trouble report there.  You can fix it then and not even have to measure to the location, because you've driven past it a hundred times and know exactly where it is!  The rest of the lines at that spot will go bad over time and then you've got what the old guys referred to as a "honey hole".  I didn't think they would ever come back in fashion.

6. My last one, the company has already implemented...  Refer every job that will take over an hour to the "first mile" group.  They'll fix anything - - eventually.  The way it works, is like a recent damaged cable I found.  You throw out a temporary fix and put the form in for them to fix it and not us.  Yes, I know we're maintenance, but we can't be tied up fixing things.  We've become the bird dog, just find it and refer it.  Close your trouble to the temporary fix with the proper narrative. 

     I had a training class recently on the company Code of Ethics.  It's a very nice work and I only wish the MSOC climate we work in was different.  It makes the code seem hypocritical.  I said my guide was "tongue in cheek" because I refuse to do any except number 6.  I've been told to do that by my supervisor several times and I've complied.  I will not lie about my day and it is against the law to work and not get paid for it.  I've been an "E" technician twice now - just for doing what I was told.  I've done this type of work for thirty four years and NOW I'm not good enough?  I know it's not just me.  I have friends who tell me the same type stories from all over.  The talking points memo seems to have gone company wide because management seems to be the same everywhere.  The phrase I hear a lot is "The days of coming in and working just four or five troubles is OVER!"  Well, I'd rather work four or five troubles right than ten troubles wrong. 

     For those of you who are contemplating giving in to the encouragement to do what is wrong, please don't.  It will hurt all of us but most of all, it will hurt you!  They'll keep raising the bar till you can't make it anyway.  Keep your integrity no matter the cost!  If CWA won't fight for us, then we'll fight it together.  There are laws which will begin to apply as the situation worsens.

     So, AT&T, we can keep going in this plan to ruin all our outside plant and keep our work atmosphere of intimidation and harassment or we could just get back to keeping our customers happy and making the stockholders more money.  It's not a either/or decision.  Making more money isn't always the right answer and neither is kicking the dog!

 "What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog"
General Dwight Eisenhower






6 comments:

  1. I've made it to a PIP and found the bosses solution is to "do it better and faster" but with no helpful suggestions for HOW to accomplish those items. I guess he knows, but can't tell me to do what's wrong cause it's CYA for all employees, not just craft. I know all the shortcuts, but resisted doing them because it hurts everyone (but me). I eventually took the easy way out when I could and retired, but I feel sorry for the ones left behind. Maybe the "UltraNet" is the venue that stockholders will believe in when all else fails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike! We all know that MSOC is really a employee termination program so they aren't going to help us in any way! Hope you enjoy retirement and thanks for all the years of service!

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, You are so right. When MSOC first came into play, me and several coworkers of mine walked into the conference room the managers were meeting in during their lunch break. This was the initial meeting with managers to explain exactly what MSOC was and how it would be used. There was an easel set up with the top reasons to adopt MSOC, and listed at the very top in bold black marker, IMPROVE WORK PROCESSES TO REDUCE HEADCOUNT. Managers will tell you to this day, that is NOT the reason, but we know better. And did you know that the program was originally made up for an automotive company assembly line, where their employees are doing the same thing day in and day out? That is why MSOC does not and will not work in the telecommunications industry. There are too many variables in our day to day activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great comment! They've tweaked the requirements a little but not much has changed. I've always said it was meant for an assembly line. One of the troubling problems is that "tech numbers" are a managers numbers as well when applied to the whole group. Managers tend to abuse their authority by forcing technicians to improve or else. We all know what the "or else" is...

      Delete
  4. I WAS an AT&T wire tech up until about 3 weeks ago. Now im just a single father trying to find another job, in an already over crowded job market. And I owe it all to MSOC. I was denied a promotion to an ST position about 1 year ago and now terminated due to nothing, but MSOC. I had no other councils or verbal warnings of any kind for any other reason. And to ice the cake, the local seems to be " out of the office ". When you think you would possibly like to work for AT&T, you should take their slogan to heart and Rethink Possible

    ReplyDelete
  5. All,
    I am also an AT&T tech, suffering under the oppression of MSOC. I hired on under the venerable Southwestern Bell days. In fact, my dad was also an AT&T tech who retired with 35 years of service, disgusted and fed up. I fear that, like this once great nation of ours, now steadily falling into wretched decline, so our once promising and proud company is being dissipated under the rule of lesser men. I am so discouraged and disillusioned that words cannot express.

    -Randy

    "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

    ReplyDelete