Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Does Membership have it's Privileges?

     This is a little different blog today.  I’m going to ask for your opinion on church membership.  Now, I’m not talking about becoming a Christian within a denomination.  I am referencing the actual act of placing “membership” at one individual church. 
       I’ve always been a little iffy on the subject.  My opinion is that it is an unnecessary step.  If I’m attending at your church on a regular basis and participating (volunteering & contributing), then you should consider me a regular.  The Baptist (my preferred sect in the denomination world) generally request placing membership in a somewhat formal way and when that membership is accepted, a “letter” is transferred from your former local church to the new one.  Some places are even requiring attendance at a special class or writing an essay on your personal experience.
        We had a group of three people visit us from Pelham First Baptist once after attending one Sunday morning.  During some small talk one of them dropped the bombshell that he was actually still a member at a church in another town.  Now, he is a member of a Sunday School Class, active at the church, visiting new comers, and the others were appalled that he wasn’t a member!  It was a little funny.  He was no less a Christian, but obviously wasn’t a card carrying member at Pelham. 

         When I was in the Church of Christ, membership was simply an announcement that “so & so” had placed membership.  That put their name on the role and I assume under the oversight of the elders.  If they never placed membership were they lost & going to Hell?  No, not in the least!  If a nonmember put money in the offering every week, was it given back?  Of course not!   Did the eldership work harder to keep members “saved”?  I didn’t see it.  With membership, does Jesus or the local church get credit for "good works"?
          My opinion is that it’s about holding some power over you by the rulers.  Christ didn’t free us from Hell’s first assembly meeting then pass out a form to be completed for membership.  It’s about belief, trust in him, and loving others!  Did the disciples line everyone up to see if they were all approved?  I don’t think so.  I think we need to tear down the walls that separate one denomination from another and focus on the stuff that really matters!  I see it like my Heavenly Father has many many buildings/places for me to worship in and He owns them all.

           I googled “church membership application” and came across one website that stated the following;  
Attending does not make you a member.
Completing the application does not make you a member.
Longevity at the church does not make you a member.
Participation in a fellowship group does not make you a member.
Ministry does not make you a member.
Baptism does not make you a member.
Sounds like only the preacher writing your name in the holy “Book of Membership” makes you one!  What do you think, necessary or not?  If you‘ve got a great verse for your reason, I’d like to know that too!  Hey, Thanks for using the comment section!  You may also use email if you have a lengthy argument, and thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment