Sunday, December 19, 2010

Please Turn Off the Lights!

     I was looking online in the Birmingham events calendar and found that our very own, Oak Mt. State Park, listed one for the holidays!  Now, I'm a fan of Oak Mountain and since our granddaughter was coming to visit, it seemed like two nice things to combine.  The website boasted a hayride and view of the lights in the park.  We used to visit the lighting display at Noccalula Falls in Gadsden and it was great, so this should be too!  There would be hot chocolate and furthermore, admission was only $3.00 per adult!  Wow, why hadn't any of our neighbors or work colleagues mentioned this before?  So, last Friday evening about seven, we loaded up and headed out to the state park for a great evening.
     I pulled up to the gate and waited behind a park ranger who was having a conversation with the attendant. I thought to myself, "where is everyone?"  After several minutes the ranger pulled off and we pulled up.  The lady attendant asked "how many" in one of those - I don't want to be here tones!  I said five with one child.  Again, same tone, "how old's the child".  I answered "six".  "That'll be 23 dollars"!  I quickly did the math in my head, 5x3 + x=$23.00  So, I figured the price had gone up to make the decorations better-no problem.  I was counting out the money and was about to hand it to her, when she said, "How many did you say"?  Ah, the mistake is coming...  "five with one child", I repeated.   She said, "I was wrong, the price is really $28.00".  I felt the blood rising a little... thought quickly, granddaughter present, wife present, children present, one boyfriend present... BE NICE!  I swallowed hard, paused, and added five more dollars, thinking, "this must be some hayride"!  She handed me six tickets and said, "drive to the pro shop"!
     I pulled away, noting the darkness of the road ahead.  No traffic in, no traffic out... Hmmm!  We arrived at the Pro Shop to a load of folks sitting in the back of a trailer on hay bales.  There were about four seats left.  The Pro Shop was dark and locked up.  There were very few streetlights so it was difficult to see.  There were a few Christmas lights across the front of the building.  The trailer was connected to a tractor and the driver was obviously the fellow anxiously waiting for us to walk across the parking lot.  He was standing at the back with the tailgate in his hand.  He asked for the tickets and told us to "come on, get on" with the exact same attitude of the attendant at the gate.  By this time, I know for a fact, I've been swindled out of $28.00.  I'm okay with it however because I like the park, and I considered it a donation, not a purchase.




     I have included some photos that were taken with a cell phone.  The lighting didn't put out enough for the pictures to be good, but you can get some idea of this sad visit!

      We squeezed onto the trailer(Stephen had to sit on the floor), and took about a ten minute ride up to the lake where the lights were.  The ride was cold, it was probably 35-40 degrees with a 20-25mph tractor wind.  It didn't seem too long because four young girls in the front sang one half verse of everything from a Star Spangled Banner/Fleece Navidad medley to Don't Stop Believin'.  I wanted to join in but Stephen said not to encourage them.  We talked about how it looked like every horror movie, especially the ones with killers coming out of the woods.  The driver finally pulled up to the building you see in the picture above, and said, "everybody off", & "ya'll walk that way to see the lights and get yer hot chocolate".
     They had a small cafe with a couple of people serving the INSTANT hot chocalate(not mixed well)!  The guy serving the cups said for us to go see the fire, and pointed "its that way"(photo below).  It was four logs burning in a picnic grill.
     Judy and I walked along the path suggesting things they could have done with such a great resource.  More lightening, reading the Christmas story by the fire, church carolers, friendly employees, quality snacks, lighted boats, etc...   the list could go on and on!
     I enjoyed the family time together and after leaving we drove around Pelham looking at better Christmas lights.  The one on David Drive was especially good.  Maybe the State could hire him to decorate next year.
     So, if you're thinking about taking in the State Park lights, don't!   Just pick any decent neighborhood, turn your radio to 96.5, and drive.  Except for the gas, it's free and the show is much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment