Monday, April 21, 2014

Our Remodeling Adventure Begins

My wife and I decided to purchase an older home and remodel it.  Our money was somewhat limited and we also wanted at least five acres.  That made our search difficult but not impossible.  I firmly believe in divine help and  know that God assisted us.
In the early eighties we purchased a house that was built about 1940 and worked on it several years before selling and moving to the Birmingham area.  I know how physical the work can be but I also know how elbow grease works.  All houses need attention, older ones are like the elderly, they go downhill quicker through neglect and abuse.
As previously stated in ‘Changes and More Changes’, the house we purchased was badly neglected. When parked in the driveway, heavy growth of hedge, poison ivy, pine trees, and briars hid most of the house.  That probably worked to our advantage because even the realtor wasn’t excited about showing it.  Most people looked at the cosmetic damage and decided to pass on it.
IMG_1768

IMG_1766
Here is the view from the front porch…
IMG_1781
There was roof damage from two large oaks that hung over it and had lost limbs at times.
IMG_1777
But just because something or someone is old and damaged, it doesn’t mean there isn’t value or that the value can’t be wildly improved upon.  Perception isn’t always reality.  You have to look deeper to what strengths are there.  I always think of the Rocky movies for great comebacks.  Just because everyone thinks your down and out, doesn’t make it so.
So we decided this was the one.  We would nurture it back to health and it would return that attention by being a good home!
“I’ll show up and take care of you as I promised and bring you back home. I know what I’m doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.”  Jeremiah 29:11 MSG

No comments:

Post a Comment