Sunday, August 30, 2015

Coffee and Bluebirds

This is my “happy place”.  It’s a little after six in the morning and I’m sitting on the front porch, in a big cedar rocking chair.  I’m sipping my morning cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee and watching bluebirds feast on insects in the front yard.  They’ve had a pretty good year with at least two broods from our three bird houses.  Bluebirds are voracious eaters.  An insect on our property needs good insurance.

We have a pretty good variety of birds.  Hummingbirds are working hard on the nearby feeder and a towhee is in the oak tree, bellowing out encouragement for me to “drink your tea”.   The Cardinals are in the edge of the forest,  along with the nuthatches and tufted titmouses.  This isn’t just a bird sanctuary, it’s a David sanctuary.

As I sip my coffee, I’m reminding myself why this is my happy place.  One of my older blogs was ‘Rest for the Weary’.  That work pace hasn’t slowed down since it was written.  Our remodeling project for the past two years only intensified when we listed our current home on the market.  Getting it ready for sale and inspection seems to have made me an angry person lately.  I know buyers and realtors can do that to anyone, but to a person already with nerves on edge, it’s been worse.

A hummingbird just chased another away from the feeder…  I think, overall I’ve done a fair job of not letting loose when my boiling point has been surpassed.  My safety valve was to become more of a “quiet” person.   From past experience, I know the tongue can “kindle” quite a fire when let loose.    Granted, I have said quite a few things when no one was around, just to vent.  I also have to admit that my conversations with the Lord have even been a little testy, but He, like no one else, knows what’s been going on.  He, in return, gives me coffee and “happy places” to further bless those I’ll come in contact with next. 

Some crows have joined the cacophony of singing now.  Birdwatching is great therapy.  I enjoy trying to pick out new sounds from the trees.  I’ve got a couple of apps on my tablet, which allow me to identify and memorize their songs.  It’s more of a challenge than most people think.  


Well, my coffee is almost gone and the clock is ticking.  Like a crying baby, my “to do list” is drowning out the birds and urging attention.  Time to be like those bluebirds and get to work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment