Saturday, June 11, 2011

What's that Smell?

     I've been to several houses this week where the occupants were obviously poor!  You can usually tell when you pull into the driveway.  The home is rundown or falling down.  There are more weeds in the yard than grass.  There is a variety of "yard art", an old broken scooter, an old pickup truck with it's first motor near the shed, etc...  Those are usually the signs that you don't want to go inside unless it is absolutely necessary!

     Now, I have to admit that I've been in some very clean homes that were owned by folks struggling to make a living.  Cleanliness is next to godliness and some people have it down pat!  These are usually older ladies whose parents raised them properly.  Others can be considered to have had the clean gene removed from their DNA.  What I'm trying to say in a nice way is, some of you are just downright nasty!  There, I said it.  I'm sorry, but it's the truth.  It's like the last spring cleaning at your house occured during the Nixon years.

     It's always funny when I work at one of these places and the owner keeps apologizing.  "I'm so sorry that my house is a mess."  "I didn't know you would have to come in!"  I want to say, "Lady, you are lazy and that's why your house is like this.  Don't apologize, you obviously enjoy living in filth or you would do something about it.  Maybe a good start would be to put the five dogs and two cats OUTSIDE!"  Of course, I can't say that.  My usual reply is, "It's okay, I've had teenagers...  there's nothing I haven't seen."  And they'll laugh, and think, "he's okay".  There are no more apologies and I can gently move things out of the way if needed. 

     The worst are those which have "smells" coming from underneath the home!  I'm talking about a sewage smell.  I can't work around that and I don't know how people can live above it.  Maybe its been there so long their noses have adjusted to the foul odor and they can ignore it.  Being poor is no excuse for this!  PVC pipe is dirt cheap in comparison with the health risks of having bacteria counts that can power the space shuttle.  Men, pick up the remote and turn off the TV.  Then, get up off your lazy butt and fix your plumbing!  If you can't do it, call your cousin, he can.

     It almost always seems these are the folks who have all the latest electronic gadgets hooked up to their 52" HD flatscreen TV.  They've got high speed internet service and probably use an Iphone.  But sadly, it just doesn't have a "clean the house" app.   Maybe I need to come up with an anti-laziness app.  If it was on and a person was immobile for a  certain period of time, it would sound an alarm.  Firemen wear something similar called a PASS(personal alert safety system).  It alarms, if a firefighter stops moving for a specified period of time, so someone nearby can help.  My app could be called MYLA(move your lazy a--).

      Cleanliness is next to godliness isn't in the Bible, but there are many teachings against being lazy.  Let's face it, laziness as a lifestyle goes against many Christian teachings.  So, get up and get busy!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment