Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Unrelenting Pharoah

Un-re-lent-ing – Not giving way to kindness or compassion.

Hi, I’m an employee of AT&T and today’s blog is of course, my opinion. 

That disclaimer came from an intracompany post concerning social media.  The company requested it be understood by all that anything placed by an employee online should be considered “just an opinion”.  I post it, because they asked…

I’ve been drawn to the story of Pharoah for the last couple of days.  A short outline of the whole story is from Exodus 7: 1-5,  The Lord said:  I am going to let your brother Aaron speak for you. He will tell your message to the king, just as a prophet speaks my message to the people. Tell Aaron everything I say to you, and he will order the king to let my people leave his country. 3-4 But I will make the king so stubborn that he won’t listen to you. He won’t listen even when I do many terrible things to him and his nation. Then I will bring a final punishment on Egypt, and the king will let Israel’s families and tribes go. When this happens, the Egyptians will know that I am the Lord.

Moses found things just as God had said, especially the hard-hearted leader, who held in his hands the power to allow the Israelites to be free.  I’ve noticed that power and authority, in the hands of men, is always abused!  Pharoah is no different when it comes to a good thing.  He has cheap labor and for higher production, a rod to beat them with!

In the movie, the Ten Commandments, each scene, where a plague was about to take place, was so clean and sanitized.  I will give them credit for not adding too much to the Biblical narrative.  But you know, at first, there had to be some serious reasoning by Moses.  I can just imagine him telling the story of how the Israelites were faithful neighbors living in the land of Goshen, honored by the memory of Joseph, and the work he did to save Egypt during the famine.  In that historical narrative, we know from Exodus 1:8 that “a new king came to power.  He did not know what Joseph had done for Egypt, and he told the Egyptians, There are too many of those Israelites in our country… “  God still blessed the Israelites, even as slaves, and “because of this, the Egyptians hated them worse than before and made them work so hard that their lives were miserable.  The Egyptians were cruel to the people of Israel…“  It even reached the point where the King decreed that all male, slave babies were to be thrown into the Nile River.

I’m sure that Moses reminded the King about the good work the Israelites had done for him, and pointed out the marvelous monuments which dotted the landscape.  Being a man in authority, the King weighed the reasonings put forth by Moses and Aaron, and sadly chose a course of action which would ruin his life and seriously harm his own country.  The Bible says that God “hardened his heart”.  We don’t know exactly when that took place.  It may have been while reading his daily reports or “the numbers” produced by the slaves.  Much like the MSOC numbers that AT&T employees receive at work each day.  The numbers that are constantly changed and modified like a carrot moved further and further from an animal’s hungry mouth.  I believe the Israelite slaves were beaten and killed to achieve the goal of raising monuments to a short sighted, greedy, King.  Moses found his “let my people go” plea falling on deaf ears.

Today, a lot of cosmetics have been applied, but the goal is still the same.  Work hard and raise money for the corporate world leaders and the minions, who live off the crumbs from their table!  The 1% rule and the 99% drool.   CEO salaries have skyrocketed, even during the hard times that we’ve experienced lately.  Add to that the layer upon layer of management salaries, bonuses, retirement payouts, and stockholder dividends, and it is no wonder that everything we buy, costs so much.  Just like today, I imagine all of Pharoah’s minions shouting NO, NO, No, don’t let them go!  They probably imagined the hard times ahead if Pharoah relented and showed some compassion.  They might actually have to work for a living…  Of course, we know the story don’t we.  It cost Egypt dearly for their greed and stubbornness.

Compassion doesn’t cost much!  Not showing compassion, can cost everthing!  Hopefully, God wasn’t the one who hardened your heart…  that would mean He is going to get your attention!  He definitely got Pharoah’s attention!  It might be better to show Him some attention first, in the form of worship and showing a little compassion to your fellow-man.

Changing the topic, but not really changing the topic… our MSOC numbers did change in January, or early February.  I am now alloted .83 of an hour for most troubles and .61 for others.  Put your surgeon on that plan and see how it works out for you.  Sorry, doc, you’ve only got 30 minutes to figure out what’s wrong and fix it!  In January, the company placed the first, ever, entry in my file, for not doing my job correctly.  The entry is still there, and I mention it daily to someone!  To me, it is character assassination and an attack on my work ethic.  It has brought unnecessary stress and even fitful sleep at times.  They don’t understand that you should not beat an older employee with a rod to work harder and faster…  I am relentless in wanting that entry out and this should never have gotten this far in the public arena!  In my opinion, management is entirely to blame for this debacle.  I was told this week that I’m the only one in the crew getting a new truck… I never asked for a new truck.  I have asked over and over, to have the entry, which was unnecessary, taken out!

Mr. Stephenson, could you “let that piece of paper go”?  Your guys around here are unrelenting!

Originally published on May 4, 2012 at Thechestnutburr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment