Sunday, May 22, 2011

Buried Treasure Hunt

     Arrrrr matey, it was a yard sale weekend.  It's pretty rare for me to hit the yard sales but while recuperating from several straight days at work, I took the plunge.  It started on Friday afternoon.  While returning home from a ride in the country, looking at houses, we passed a "Yard Sale" sign near Old Weatherly.  I asked Judy, "Wanna go?"  A quick "yes" and we were turning around to seek unfound treasure.
     It ended up being a good stop for me.  The home belonged to a couple who competed in Bassmasters fishing competition.  The lady had just returned from winning a tournament in Florida.  She was very interesting to talk to.  When she told us what she did for a living, I said it seemed a little unfair to those of us who had to work everyday.  She said it was harder for them, because if they didn't win, they didn't eat.  I looked around at the house and stuff for sale, and thought, "yeah, right".
     They had a box of pflueger reels for $20.00 each.  I asked did they use a new one each time they went, her husband answered, "pretty much".  It's obviously a hard life, this competition fishing.  I bought a pflueger 10 bearing spinning reel & an Allstar Titanium rod to go with it for $30.00!  I also picked up a AKAI am-fm receiver for $5.  Looking around, I also found a brand new Kelloggs fishing team hat for $1.  Not a bad haul!
     After going home and discussing our finds with Anna our daughter, she told us the Ballantrae community yard sale was the next morning.   We all determined to get up early and go.  But when the time for actually getting up came around, Stephen bailed out on us.
      The Ballantrae sale ended up being good for Judy.  She found five good cookbooks for .50 cents each, seven workout video's for .25 cents each, and two weights to use for .50 cents.  Thrilled with the plunder, we decided to go visit an estate sale in nearby Pelham.  It was a nice home in the Cedar Cove area.  An estate sale service had priced everything and did a pretty good job in having everything organized.  The previous owners had obviously been an elderly couple who probably didn't get out much.  There were very few "new" items and a trememdous amount of prepared items for Y2K.  It reminded me of the disaster which had been predicted by "Harold Camping" for that same day.  Judy picked up an antique mirror and old floral print picture.
     After that visit, we called off the treasure hunt and were back home by mid morning.  I decided to connect up the new AKAI radio to the home ceiling speakers we had never used.  Worked great!  As I'm typing this, I'm listening to WDJC over my $5.00 find!  Our treasure hunt was a lot of fun, I may even go again in a couple of years!




   

No comments:

Post a Comment