Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Sitting on the Bench!

     Hi, I'm an employee of AT&T and the following is my opinion...

     I thought I'd give a little update on telephone restoration from the tornadoes that hit on April 27th, 2011.  Our workgroup seems to be sitting in the dugout watching other technicians and contractors play the game.  It's really sad.  Our work center is twenty minutes away from troubles in Cahaba Heights and nobody needs us!  We feel kind of like the magtag repairman...  We are back on a eight to five schedule and I even received a "no jobs available" at 9:30am after closing my first dispatch.  It took them a while to find me something to do.  Tomorrow, a couple of us are going to work on a defective section, doing some needed clean-up work, since troubles are slow.
  
     It was relayed from a construction technician today that contractors were placing and splicing new cables in Cahaba Heights.  I believe that can only be done when an emergency is declared, so I suppose the company has done so.  As a facilities technician with splicing ability/tools, I'm confused over how serious this emergency is to the company.  Our group can be on regular hours, even routine work, while twenty minutes away, contractors have to be brought in from out of state to work!  
   
     I was in the Communication Workers of America Union for 25 years.  I resigned from that organization eight years ago, after being fed up with their decisions to support abortion rights candidates!  I was angry that they felt social issues ranked more important that labor ones.  I only rejoined when AT&T took over BellSouth, wielding whips and chains with MSOC!  Obviously, labor issues are still down on the to-do-list for the union.  I'll have to rethink that membership!  The union sent me a email recently wanting to know about safety issues since AT&T has been a little weak in that area.  I emailed them my Vincent pictures and never got a response...  exactly what I expected!

      Speaking of stuff on the-to-do-list, we've had one cut cable in our area, which has been waiting to be repaired since the middle of last Summer!  It is on Deseret Dr. in Shelby, AL.  Shelby is a small community with a long history.  I'll have to write about it sometime.
      There are two homes at the end of the road and a small trailer park in the middle which is sparsely occupied.   Last summer, a service sechnician had to place temporary lines from Highway 47, about 1000' to bypass the cable damage.  It had been cut by a contractor placing a water line.
      Management was advised, and it was stated, "that is a First Mile problem"!  First Mile is a group which was formed, supposedly to repair cables where customers had trouble with their  Uverse.  I don't think maintenance was their designed purpose.  However, with that said, I will note that since the tornadoes they have been working troubles and some service orders, even in our area!
      Things just seem to be very confused these days on who is supposed to do what.  The PLS group, which is supposed to prepare outside plant for Uverse is helping maintenance.  First Mile is working maintenance.  Maintenance is working service orders and Service Technicians are doing cable troubles.  It's a mixed up world!
      I'm in the dark about the rest of the 22 state world of AT&T.  If you're a Facility Technician elsewhere, I'd like to know the setup in your area.  Drop me an email and let me know if this is the norm or are we the exception. 
      The two 2-pair temporary lines have been replaced twice due to damage from normal customer activity, mowing grass, driving over, etc.   If that was your telephone line, I suppose it could be considered "at risk"!  The moment you really need it.... dead!  Then you have to call repair AGAIN!
      You can see the telephone cable sticking up out of the ground.  It came from the opposite side of the road to a pedestal, then went back to the other side again.  The cables sticking up were both to the pedestal.  The other matching ends are under ground about 2 1/2 feet deep near the pavement edge.  We actually requested a "locate" in February, but the load got heavy, so repair was put off again.  The paint for the water line is long gone.  It would even be difficult now to get the correct claim information for billing!




     I mentioned MSOC earlier, and it reminded me of a video sent to me by a friend.  The title is A Day in the Life of a Comcast Technician.  That title is misleading, they even talk about telecommunication in the video.  Anyway, those of you who are on MSOC will relate quickly.  If you aren't familiar with MSOC, you can read my earlier blog on the subject.  Watch at least a little, just so you'll know what we have to deal with!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment